How much do you enjoy your life at work and at home and at play?
Try this Lifestyle Check. It isn't a psych test or anything you should take too seriously. It's a simple check on how your life is going so far, in relation to work, home and play.
Some guidance notes...
- Breaking life into categories of work, home and play is pretty broad.
- Work generally relates to paid employment and anything to do with work
- Home can relate to the people you live with and your interaction with them, plus eating, sleeping, house maintenance, etc
- Play covers virtually any discretionary activity or interest, usually enjoyable. It can be physical, intellectual, social, manual, community involvement, church, sport, whatever.
- You can decide for yourself what each word or phrase means.·
- A tick indicates you feel reasonably happy with how the word/phrase relates to your life through (respectively) your work, home and play.
- At the end, check through·
- the ticked boxes and think how you might want to build on your strengths·
- the un-ticked boxes. Perhaps a tick was inappropriate...or perhaps you felt a reluctance to tick it for a reason known only to you
For example: Say you ticked “accomplishment, achievement” for work but not for home or for play. Why? Are you perhaps confident in your work ability but not so confident about what you can achieve in your personal life? Would this mean you have become something of a workaholic? If so, think about what will get you out of bed with enthusiasm each day later in life if and when you don’t have work to do. Every person is born with a variety of natural talents and passions and nature never made a distinction between work and leisure in how those talents might be used.
Get the idea?
When you have completed the exercise, browse my website for information that may help you get more ticks on all three columns.
|Adequate financial resources||·||·||·|
|Being part of social changes||·||·||·|
|Communicating comfortably with others||·||·||·|
|Delight in being alive||·||·||·|
|Developing my skills, abilities and talents||·||·||·|
|Discovering new things||·||·||·|
|Enjoying meaningful pursuits||·||·||·|
|Expanding my knowledge||·||·||·|
|Feeling good about myself||·||·||·|
|Good relationships with family||·||·||·|
|Good relationships with partner||·||·||·|
|Grabbing my opportunities||·||·||·|
|Keeping an eye on my health||·||·||·|
|Keeping in touch with other generations||·||·||·|
|Keeping my mind active||·||·||·|
|Keeping up with technology||·||·||·|
|Learning / education||·||·||·|
|Maintain good personal image||·||·||·|
|Maximising use of my time and resources||·||·||·|
|Networks of connections with others||·||·||·|
|Opportunities for calm, quiet and peace||·||·||·|
|Perfection (eg of details)||·||·||·|
|Personal growth and development||·||·||·|
|Recognition / status||·||·||·|
|Sense of freedom||·||·||·|
|Sense of purpose||·||·||·|
|Sense of self worth||·||·||·|
|Taking care of me / time for me||·||·||·|
|Time spent on reflective thinking||·||·||·|
|Time with partner/children/important others||·||·||·|
|Wisdom / intuition||·||·||·|