Work Life Balance is Out...Work Life Harmony is In
Work life harmony is the 21st century way for the business and the individual worker to effectively relate to each other.
For the employer, work life harmony is about creating a workplace culture (‘the way we do things here’) that maximizes work corporate productivity in ways that help its people to each develop their unique talents, passions, potential and personal life goals.
For the individual, work life harmony is about creating the right mix of
- energy-burning and energy-depleting interests at work and in personal life, and
- pursuing personal goals that harmonize with the employer's corporate goals
Effective staff engagement engages the whole person, not just the person they are at work. True motivation comes from being encouraged to express natural talents, skills and passions on the job. People want to enjoy their life - at work, at home and at play. People are seeing work as only one part of life's big picture. Personal goals are the top priority. Business goals are just one (albeit important) means towards achieving personal goals.
How can I help? My services focus on helping leaders engage with and develop the whole person, maximizing their natural talents, passions and unique potential. It's the most powerful and sustainable way of strengthening staff commitment to corporate goals.
Work/ life balance as we know it at present isn't working.
- It's a "time-poor" concept, based on conflicting demands of employer and employee for a share of the 24/7 day.
- Separation of work and personal life roles has become a blur. Work is just one of many roles that people perform in their 168 hour week.
- Family-friendly policies are now only one aspect of the work life balance issue.
Globally, economic growth depends on people having a strong work ethic. Individuals however want a "life ethic":
- working to live, rather than living to work,
- personal goals being the top priority over corporate goals
- emotional needs over material needs.
Work Life Harmony is the way to go – harmony of work and personal needs, goals and interests.
Harmony is the product of diversity. Think of your team like a choir - a 'mosaic' of unique individuals committed to producing a harmonious outcome, maximizing each member's talents and passion.
- Free - Click here to check my articles on this topic
- Free - Subscribe to receive my periodic Newsletters - see the right hand side of this page
- Purchase (and instantly download) copies of any one or more of my publications :
- "Enjoy Being You - How Leisure Can Help You Become the Person You Want to Be"
- "The Hunger to Grow" How to enjoy the dessert years of your life
- Use my Employment Support services to:
- have staff attend one of my Lifestyle Review Workshops, or
- experience a one-one Lifestyle Review consultation